SLC Mechanical Reefers
Then yesterday I was reviewing all of the proto photos, and ran across this:

I thought "cool, this car has one of the louver panels missing, showing the refrigeration unit" and thought it would be a nice touch to model this one to set it apart from the others. Much to my surprise, as I contiuned looking at all the photos, I discovered that ALL of these cars have the refrigeration unit exposed on one side. Can't believe I have been watching and taking photos of the prototype and didn't notice this before. :?

Examples:

So, now I am committed to do all the refrigeration units. Decided to mass produce 25 of these for future builds. I did do a bit of research on the net to find photos of the refrigeration units, but didn't come up with a whole lot, so I just made an effort to match what I could see in the photos. Built a test unit first, then mass produced all the parts:

Started assembly:

Finished the details and painted them:

Cut out one of the louvers, and glued the unit in place.

So there ya go. Still have to add a ladder back over the refrigerator unit and do a few other minor detail parts. Yeah, the car isn't a perfect match, but it will do a good job in mimicking the beat up old SLC cars, definitely to my satisfaction. Thumbsup

Messages In This Thread