40 hopper cars on the wall! 40 hopper cars!
RRManiac Wrote: I have been looking for good trucks, couplers, and such, and the hoppers themselves are of a highly unusual design.

I'm looking for a couple of pictures to show you, but I can't really find much of anything that shows the ends or inside.

This just in ...

" The first quantity of the “modern” 2-bay hoppers were constructed by the Pressed Steel Car Company in 1913. The EBT would construct many more between 1914 and 1927, with the 3-bay design being the general standard. Most of the earlier 2-bay cars were rebuilt to three bays. Eventually, over 260 of the 3-bay hoppers would see service into the 1950s."

The above quote was lifted from an announcement by Blackstone Models of their release of an EBT 3-bay hopper with the correct Vulcan trucks. The full announcement and photos of the cars (though not as high quality as those taken by our own doctorwayne on his trip to Orbisonia this Summer!) can be seen by clicking on the link.

Pricey ... yes, they are ... but for about half that much capital, C&BT Car Shops produced an example of the same cars. I have been told that they are not easy to find but can be had on EBay from time to time ... but Walthers claims to have them in stock. :? Icon_lol For watching on EBay, auctions you should keep an eye on are "Tags: Broad, C&BT, East, HOPPER, Model, Shops, Train. "

And although dated 2003, (seven years old ... ancient by Internet terms) the site called Modeling the East Broad Top Railroad has quite a bit of information regarding kits, reference books and links to other sites pertaining to the diminutive central Pennsylvania coal hauler.

One last source for EBT hoppers that I could find was HobbyLinc.

Yes, I realize that none of these are scratch-built, but assuming they are at least close to dimensionally correct, any one of them would provide the necessary dimensions to embark on the rather lengthy quest of building the other 39 from scratch!

I'm jus' sayin'. 8-)
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread