GP 15
Reinhard;

I purchased my rather expensive Athearn GP15-1 (MP version) based on the glowing review in MR. When I received it and put it on my test/breakin loop, it wouldn't run in DC mode other than it just begin to move at a full 12v then would stall and the sound system would reset. It would barely move another inch or so and stall again. Never made one complete loop of the test track. Next I tried operating it on DCC. It seemed to run okay on DCC for the most part, although not as good as any of my other DCC locos; but still had that constant stalling and sound system reset. Run a few inches, then stall and restart, repeatedly. I hooked up the DCC throttle to my test loop and got it running at a nice medium speed to break it in some, but after running it for 30 minutes in each direction. No change.

I removed the body shell (as much as you can) looking for any possible loose wires or other items that might have come loose during shipping and could find nothing. Track and wheels both clean, no obvious loose wiring and none of my other engines ever stall. Even the Athearn CF-7 that I put a simple decoder in, runs far better than the GP15.

I contacted Athearn and of course they want me to send it to them at my expense for "repairs". Since it was a gift, the sales receipt was lost/misplaced, so it doesn't qualify for warranty repairs and I've had it for more than 90 days. I have not sent it back to Athearn so far and at this point, I'm just writing it off as an expensive goof up!

I have seen videos on YouTube of other GP15-1's that folks have purchased and they seem to have no problems with theirs so I'm just guessing that it was my turn to get a lemon. I'm debating on sending it to Athearn, but right now I'd rather not put more money in this engine.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread