What Era, Railroads, & Locomotives are you set on?
My layout is a generic southwestern switching railroad set in the '60s. The town bought a couple of used switchers and formed the Adobe Flats Municipal Railway Company to provide service for local industries. However when laying track, they obviously didn't know what they were doing. There are many bottlenecks requiring many extra moves to get a car from one place to another.

Example one: The yard lead has two industries which requires that any switching in the yard involves moving and re-spotting any freight cars loaded there.

Example two: The switchback from the yard to the mainline also has an industry which involves moving and re-spotting when trying to get from one end of a car to the other . The only runaround is the mainline and passing siding. Oh, and the produce distributor is located on the passing siding, further complicating moves.

The other town, Mountain Gap, is better laid out, only having one industry whose cars need to be moved in order to switch another industry (not nearly as much fun but easier for visitors to operate).

Motive power consists of a couple of EMD A40s permanently double headed, an EMD SW9, and a SWeep (cross between an SW1500 and a GP9 that I 'bashed a while back). An occasional appearance is also made by a pair of GP38-2's just because I like their looks. Road power is one GP9 or an F3 to move cars from Adobe Flat to Mountain Gap and back.

Revenue cars are mostly 40' box cars along with a few reefers, flat cars, and tank cars.

Industries include a produce distributor, Acme Company (of Road Runner fame), oil distributor, grain processing, pet food manufacturing, a public warehouse, and interchange track, a team track, a farm implement/feed store, a wholesale distributor, a furniture factory, and a few other industries.

Thus ends the saga of the AFMRy Company.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)

Messages In This Thread