MRC Decoder with Sound for Kato SD70MAC
This will always be the problem with sound in N-scale. You can only get so much sound out of a small speaker. Bigger speaker=bigger sound. Also, you need longer-throws and a larger surface area to get lower-frequency notes like the ones we're looking for in diesel sound. That's why you can hear the horn and bell, but the prime mover sounds so thin.

You can try putting a larger speaker in, but you will need to modify the chassis - usually by removing some of the weight. I wouldn't recommend the fuel tank, as a) it'll be a lot of work to ream out a space for the speaker, and b) you'll be picking up any magnetic debris off your layout with your loco.

If you do go the larger speaker route, you should try to make as large a sealed enclosure for the speaker as you can. If the speaker can't pressurize air, it won't work very efficiently. This is the largest problem with the MRC drop-in boards. I tried one in an HO Atlas S2 and was similarly disappointed.

You could try building an enclosure around the existing speaker, but I don't know how much space you have available in your shell.

Finally, I don't like the way MRC sets the levels of the sound options on their decoders - many sounds only having 3 levels of volume, usually ranging from silent to not loud enough. Wink

Sadly, while there are several inexpensive options for DCC sound, there are few inexpensive options for GOOD DCC sound. In my experience, if you want really good sound, you need to go to a custom install (or factory, where the chassis is designed with or as a sealed speaker enclosure) with a Soundtraxx, QSI or ESU decoder.

Messages In This Thread