Action at the roundhouse
Steamtrains Wrote:I got a bottle of "blackener" to darken the valve gear. But since it's all built, I'm wondering if it might attack the plastic crosshead. Should I maybe paint instead of blackening them..?? What paint color does D.W. use on his locos..??

doctorwayne Wrote:Gus, those commercial blackeners are totally safe on plastic, although they do like the metal parts to be free of grease, oil, and oxidation. After you get the desired degree of blackening, you may need to rinse away any residue with water, as some continue to "work" until all chemical reaction has ceased. Apply lubrication once dry.

You can also use something called "NeoLube". It's a graphite lubricant that clings to metal. I have used it to blacken (well, "grey-en") and lubricate the siderods of a couple of steamers. Very effective, and all in one step (good for lazy people like me...! Wink). One drawback: don't get it on the driver tires, or your pulling power goes to zero as the wheels just spin and spin... Don't ask how I know 35

Andrew

Messages In This Thread