GP 15
Sumpter250 Wrote:To my knowledge, there were only two versions of the GP15-1, and the C&NW "normally aspirated" version was one of them, so if your "body" doesn't have all the louvers behind the cab, it's probably the correct one for Conrail. I know that Athearn did a lot of research on the GP15, before going into production. Their GP15, if painted and lettered for Conrail is most likely very accurate, at least for the number, or number series they've produced.
I'm not 100% sure the C&NW had the only ones of that kind, but there were limited numbers of them.
Oh, I remember that the original issue of Smokey Valley kits were not the C&NW version.

there are 5 versions of the GP15 (though technically only two of those versions are GP15-1s).

Version 1- CN&W; Frisco-> Burlington Northern- GP15-1

12 cylinder without inertial Air intake (hence all the extra vents), and DC main generator, no Dynamic Brakes

Version 2 Conrail; Missouri Pacific- GP15-1

12 cylinders, Inertial air intakes, DC generators, no dynamic brakes

Version 3 Missouri Pacific GP15AC

12 Cylinders inertial air intakes, AR10 Alternator, no Dynamic brakes

Version 4 Apalachicola Northern- GP15T

8 cylinders turbocharged without inertial air intake, AR10 alternator and no dynamic brakes

Version 5 Chessie System-> CSX

8 cylinders turbocharged, inertial air intakes, AR10 alternator, WITH dynamic Brakes.

Now, i'm not 100% clear on what the external differences are between the MoPac GP15ACs and their GP15-1s (and by extension, the Conrail Version), but it seems like the basic body style is the same from the photos i've compared.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread