Backdrop at Mason Park Bridge
Sumpter250 Wrote:or....darken from the shade of the tree to the right-behind, the RH tall tree in the center, left, to the shade of the 3D tree and I'd say only the front row of backdrop trees, and gradually higher up each tree as you get to the far left side.

Thanks for those suggestions, S-2-fiddy. The advent of digital photographs and photoshopping is a great aid to figuirng out and testing things like this. I agree with your assessment and modified picture and will give it a go, starting out with some very subtle stippling of darker colors.

I generally like lighter colors on the layout, and I will try to match the 3D scenery to the backdrop. That may not be the way it should be done, but my "intuition" in choosing the backdrop colors is what felt right to me. The 3D trees are really just "stand-ins" that were made about 4 years ago as detailed in the old Gauge which used the techniques that can be found in the "Academy" (and thanks go to docWayne for having rebuilt that thread here.)

There is also an awkard little ridge along the backdrop/layout junction that needs to be fixed. It makes the backdrop look like it is still on paper taped to the wall rather than blending into the top of the layout.

Messages In This Thread