Newbie - District 22 - Downtown L.A. (A table top railway)
jonte Wrote:... Interestingly, your method for staining the ties......apologies by the way for my misnomer (sleepers) - when will I ever get used to the fact that I'm a railroader now ? (gotta stop spelling modeling with two 'l's too Big Grin ) ..... is the same as that used by Iain Rice except that he uses an old tobacco tin for the purpose. Great idea, but in my case, I'll have to use paint due to the PCB ties in between :cry: ... Jonte

Call them sleepers if you wish ... and use the spelling "colours," too, if you wish! I was just having some fun with you. (My Grandfather immigrated here from England and he called the pink thingie on the end of a pencil a "rubber"* ... very confusing when he was asking for a larger, hand held one at the drug store! 357 :oops: )

The nylon stocking bags of ties soaked in the minwax stain in M.O.W.-yellow-painted Dinty Moore Beef Stew cans labeled "Tie Stain" so my (former) wife wouldn't throw them out! (I had to paint and label anything I was keeping or else it would disappear! "No sane person holds onto or needs a dozen old empty coffee and stew and soup cans!")

On colouring your sleepers ... you could stain the wood ones and then just paint the PCB ones ... the variation will look good! In a one foot stretch of my track, there might be 5 or 6 slightly different "coloured" ties, depending on which stain they sat in and how long their bath was.

Variation is good!

* You use one to "rub out" mistakes. :mrgreen:
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread