Crossing Gates in Industrial Areas
Gary:
our local station has a crossing at on end of the platform. There is also interlocking (junction with another Rly and a crossover) beyond the road. There is (or was when I took the train) an interlocking signal at the end of the crossing.
When a passenger train stopped in the station, after a certain period of time the interlocking signal would turn red and the crossing gates would go up. There was a button in a box in front of the station that would cause the gates to go down and the signal to change to a proceed. I believe that there was a block just in front of the signal and if the loco moved into this block they would also get the gates and signal.
I think (from overhearing trainmen) that they weren't supposed to cross into the next block until they were ready to go, but it sometimes happened.
This may be the situation at a freight only crossing; gates go up after a wait and then get dropped again if the train gets close to the crossing.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.

Messages In This Thread