Women and model trains
I've been into model railroading for close to 35 years. Everyone that knows me is aware of my love of trains. So when my wife first met me, she knew all about them. I also don't plan on building the Northeast Corridor, just a shortline on a tabletop oval. What makes my wife wonderful is she cannot understand why women want to change their husbands since this is who they met in the first place. She figures that we go to a lot of events that she wants to see, so it's a fair tradeoff.

Plus, as an operations hound, I'm always learning about different industries associated with railroading. My wife sometimes uses reading material that I have for lessons in her class (she teaches 8th grade Language Arts) regarding history and economics. I have a model of a European box car that she uses for Holocaust lessons.

When we first started dating, she told me that she wanted to go to Pennsylvania Amish Country. What does that mean to train lovers? Everybody all at once - STRASSBURG!!! We got tickets for the dinner train (always a good idea for something different and interesting), and arrived a half hour before the train was scheduled to depart, and I asked her if I could take some pictures of the equipment. So she sat on a bench near two other women while I and their husbands began photographing the equipment. Immediately seeing the is-this-going-to-be-my-future look on her face, one of the women told her "you'll always know where he is."

She's a very good sport. We go up to Woodstock, NY several times a year. On one occasion, we were talking to someone from the Catskill Mountain Railroad and they mentioned that not all of the volunteers come regularly. My wife then suggested that I join and we could come up several times a year.

All this and a great cook. I am a lucky man. Thumbsup Cheers
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.

Messages In This Thread