L&N Industrial Rail Spur
Although a couple of these photos have been posted on another thread of mine, thought it would be a good idea to re-post them to show the structure mockups that I put together for the current track plan. They are all made from 3/16in foam board that I picked up for a dollar a sheet at a local craft store. They really help to get a feel for how things fit together and work out on the current plan.

This view is looking toward the south end of the layout (all spurs/branch lines on the L&N were considered southward timetable direction off the main line). On the right is Bloomer Chocolates. Superior Meats and Durkee Foods on the left. The school bus is sitting where a street will cross the spur.     In this view, we're looking over the top of Bloomer Chocolates at Superior Meats and Durkee Foods.     In this view we're looking northward past Bloomer Chocolates at Durkee Foods and Superior Meats. The cardboard tubes are stand in's for the cocoa bean storage silos. Structure in the distance will be a non-rail served building with an abandoned track in front of it. (Coffee cup stains on the foam added for dramatic effect).     Another view looking northward on the spur. Bloomer Chocolates on the left, Durkee Foods/Superior Meats on the right. The section of what looks like double track at the extreme end of this photo is not on the current plan, but was simply a test I was doing at the time of the photo, where I was staging two trains. Didn't like that at all, but may be used on the staging extension.     Finally a view of the south end of the spur showing the Lowes Lumber track on the right and Midwest Distribution warehouse on the left. L&N 5030, an MP15dc in the Family Lines paint scheme, has just finished spotting a car at Lowes and is getting ready to work Midwest. Although not shown in this photograph, we always operate the spur with a caboose on the end of the train and a four man crew (circa 1980). The small structure at Lowes was just placed there to fill in the area, but in my plan, most of the track will be in a concrete pad, surrounded by a chain link fence. The Co-Op feed truck is sitting where another street will cross the spur.     That's it for now. Hopefully within the next couple of months, I can start some actual construction on the layout. I'd sure like to get something more permanent done, as would the wife who is constantly on my case about working on the layout!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread