Iron Ore Mine & Steel Mill in N Scale
DrGeologist Wrote:TruchkLover, in your thread where you decribe your dream steel mill layout, you mention having a power station that is coalfired. I was thinking something similar, but I was thinking of basicaly combining the sintering/coke ovens with a power plant. In my lttle fantasy world, the process of creating coke would produce alot of waste gas, I figure this gas could be captured and used in a natural gas poer station (Northern Light and Power). COmbinnig the two kits would make a pretty sweet structure/complex.

I had originally wanted to do a power plant using the Walthers Tre-State Power Authority and a few substation kits, but i just dont have enough room lol. Power Station Buildings are one thing that i have forgot to add in the plans. These Power Stations will be pretty much just small square buildings, with maybe a Walthers Sub-station with it. the Walthers Northern Light and Power would work perfectly for a smaller power plant on the site. The Tre-State would make a good large one, but i dont know if i have enough room to squeeze that one in there lol

I think that combining the coke oven and power plant sounds like a cool idea. In fact, that is what they do, they take some of the bi-product gases that are produced in the various process of steel making and turn them into power to power the HUGE buildings that make up a steel mill, so your idea would be good Thumbsup Thumbsup

DrGeologist Wrote:I've also started work on my high line to feed the BFs. The high line will be entirely scratch built as it need to be 3 times as high and around 10-12 times longer than the silly little things that are included in the BF kit. I've scrounged up most of the materials I will use for it already... I've never scractch built anything before and this is goining to be a very large structure ( longer than the ore dock), so this may get interesting! Eek

This is what i will have to do as well. Ill use the Highlines that come with the 4 furnaces as a start so i can build off of it from there lol. My highline is somewhere in the neighborhood of 180" lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread