Poll: For you, is model railroading a solo or social activity?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Solo Activity. I enjoy doing most of my modeling by myself. I find it a healthy way to calm my brain and spirit, relax, think, and decompress from everyday stress. Having too many other participants causes me to lose focus and sometimes prevents my full enjoyment of the hobby.
82.50%
33 82.50%
Social Activity. I enjoy modeling with others, inviting others over for operating sessions, and participating in clubs. Without the social contacts, I would have less interest in model railroading.
17.50%
7 17.50%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Model railroading - a solo or social activity?
There's some kind of consensus there!

Mainly, tt is a solo activity for me. It relaxes me in many ways, stimulate my mind and is a good place to express some little creativity and interest in history. I remember in junior high, they founded a modelism club... It went nowhere. When I returned my kit home, I completed the model in less than an evening instead of months. Turning ducklings into swan is the best thing i know.

The social aspect for me is secondary. However, I must admit that since we started our "club layout" (3 people!), it helped me to focussed my multiple and divergent interest into something coherent. None other member is interested in building and detailling trains. One is definitively an operation guy, the other a man that needs incredible technical challenges to change his mind. It is a good way to complete each other. I like to operate, but I must admit my real fun is to see nice models running through nice scenery, just like real life!

I must say that Internet was crucial to me. Seeing other works made me progress a lot, I also enjoyed to meet different people around the world that where kind and knowledgeable. I've learned a lot (and still learn) from them. I would say, this capacity to share works and ideas with people having the same interest is thrilling. The funny thing is that I can hardly find this kind of connection in my area, most people being collectors and not really modellers...

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread