New Jersey railroad news
On the old topic....

I don't know why the death of this train comes as such a shock. The tickets for it were outragous (a few hundred bucks). there was one part of one bi-level coach that was regular "coach" seating. Everything else cost significantly higher.

These trains ran empty more often then not. It was not just a "profitless" service, it was a total failure. They thought they could get "rich" people from New York to pay $400+ to ride one way in a fancy club car with sandwhiches and drinks. Most people would rather drive (or have their chaffuer take them).

The only real shame here was this service was the last one holding the ALP44 electrics on the roster, after almost all got replaced by the new ALP46. Now, there is no reason to keep the ALPs that are in service now.

New business

I heard the local radio complaining about how NJ transit is still "keeping locomotives meant for the cancelled ARC rail tunnel that cost several million dollars". This is referring to NJ transit's new Dual Mode Diesel electrics. Though the radio report did mention that "NJ transit claims they will improve service on other lines", they sounded like they were portraying the new locomotives as a waste.

To clarify, the ALP45DM can run on any part of the NJ electrified lines (Former Pennsy, and former Lackawanna electrification which is different), and then transition to diesel power. In the past, if one wanted to reach New York Penn station from a diesel-powered line, you would have to change to an electric train at some point. I think diesel trains only go as far as Newark or maybe secaucus. Considering there are several lines on NJ transit where this can be useful, It kind of bugs me that people don't recognize the obvious advantages here.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread