When did railroads start using diesel engine block heaters?
[url][/url]
Mr Fixit Wrote:I am going to favour the argument in favour of a small engine shed for the shortline's diesel loco.

I know from my railroad reading that New England winters can be damn cold, and snowy so I figure that doing Daily Inspections and routine maintenance procedures outside would be beyond a joke after the first few times.

A diesel loco is a big capital investment for a shortline so protecting it from the weather, and undesirables, as well as providing somewhere to store all the bits and pieces that go with it would be considered prudent.
Another point to consider about servicing the loco is when the job is going to take more than one shift to do. A job is a lot easier when you can just leave everything laid out and pick it up in the morning, rather than pack up make safe and secure and then start all over again in the morning.

Think about what it is like to have to do something on your car when you dont have a garage to work in and then scale up to a loco that needs daily attention.

Also just how long has the shortline been running? Did it operate during the days of steam? Shortlines would often ensure a steam loco was safely secured at night. Was it a class one cast off.

Mark

I would love to use an engine house, but I have no place to put it. Here’s my layout. http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=5332
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.

Messages In This Thread