Looks like google predicts the end of model trains
ezdays Wrote:Can we blame things like video games and text messaging for this decline of all that is old and sacred?

Yes and no.

I know from my biology training that organisms will do whatever is easiest. In terms of Bio-remediation, there are plenty of bacteria that eat oil and PCBs, but they would rather digest other stuff, because those things are hard to eat.

It is the same with this hobby. video games are easy to "digest". You pick up a machine that can play the game, and then you play it. There is almost zero pressure. In the long run, I suspect they are cheaper too. they are easly accessible.

Very little about model trains is accessible. Building a layout (benchwork) can be intimidating. Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing isn't a Beginners skill either, and that can also be intimidating, so you won't see to many people trying to save money that way.

If you're a young person, all of these things are especially intimidating, and may require adult supervision/assistance, such as the use of power tools. Its not easy.

Sumpter250 Wrote:Garble ( :oops: ) Google ( :oops: ) No, I was right the first time GARBLE is just that, Internet trash.
The numbers of young people, kids through teens, that were at Trainfest, show me that the interest is still there. If there is any decline in the hobby it is probably more related to the ever spiraling price increases for hobby related goods, which, hopefully, will lead to more scratchbuilding.
When I first started in this hobby, I didn't have the luxury of large amounts of spendable cash. Scratchbuilding, using affordable materials, was how I got started, and to this day how I enjoy the hobby.
I see internet sites, like this board, keeping model trains popular, and in so many ways, "affordable". We all just have to be willing to teach the "new kids" how it's done . Big Grin Big Grin

There are always a few young people at train shows, but how many of them came because they are genuinely interested in modeling trains, or because one of their parents did?

I agree that the prices have a lot to do with it. Heck, I'm just looking at the depressing cost of those Concor MP54s, and Walther's Metroliners. I could barely afford a car or two (and even then it would be difficult to justify). I don't see how any young people without some sort of income would be able to buy half of this stuff.

When you started scratchbuilding, did you have guidance? did someone teach you, or were you self taught? I think our culture has changed since then, and I'm not so sure it is a simple step to go your route these days.

Perhaps there are ways to adapt the hobby to the modern day without sacraficing too much.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread