Looks like google predicts the end of model trains
Sumpter250 Wrote:Nope , model railroading ebbs and flows, but I really do not see it ever, ending. Wink

To be honest, the title of the thread was somewhat intentionally over the top. I'm pretty sure I posted it when I was low on sleep! At the time, I thought it was an interesting feature of google to see how much people searched things.

Sumpter250 Wrote:Someone taught me. OK - - Me.....and the authors of the construction articles in Model Railroader, Model Trains, and Railroad Model Craftsman.
( I am, of course assuming that the younger folk of this day and age, can actually learn something from the printed word )
I stated earlier in this thread, " We all just have to be willing to teach the "new kids" how it's done . Big Grin Big Grin "
That's part of what makes this board so valuable. The "How To's " we post here, are the modern equivalent of the old,
" Construction Articles ". Here, the learners can ask, and we can answer them.

I wouldn't say that articles (printed or otherwise) are not as effective as they have always been, but when it comes to kitbashing or scratchbuilding, I think they are not the best for beginners, at least not these days. Most do not give a "global", basic understanding of basic techniques and tools required for kitbashing. Frequently, they are articles about someone else's kitbash or scratchbuild, and they usually are very vague and expect the reader to fill in some of the blanks, which is intimidating to a young person or a newbie.

I feel like most of the time when I've attempted such things, its only cooking it in my mind for a few weeks. I often find after the fact that there was an easier way to do what I had attempted to do.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread