S gauge box cars from a box of loose parts
AF350 Wrote:I just had a homer simpson moment(Duh-oo)

there are 2 types of car ends and 2 types of doors and of course I have miss matched ends on the 2nd car........oh well. It was nice and square, so something had to be wrong with it but when I seen what I had done the glue was already set up. I knew this build was to easy Icon_lol

Laid out the parts to measure(estimation) to see what size mold box will hold 1 each of the 2 door types, the 2 end types, a side, and bottom. Looks like a 10" x 10" box will work. This mold will be a simple one part mold(may make 2 molds). The roof will have to be a 2 part mold being it does not have a flat back.

Don't worry about miss matching ends. I've seen plenty of box cars with different ends due to rebuilding. Short lines tend to do it more often from what I've seen. Although I saw a CSXT box car with two different ends here in Reno a while back so even the big boys do it. Go ahead and finish it up and see how many people notice. If they ask, tell them it got one end banged up from a shifting load and was in too good of condition to scrap. Misngth

Greg Elems

Messages In This Thread