Making your own molds for casting
Hi guys, im looking for tips on making molds and such.

I was thinking of making some molds for bridges (bridge piers, bridge abutments, and the actual bridge themselves) modeling some modern highway bridges. I know there is stuff like it out there, but there plastic and from what i have found, most of them are not that modern, and only 2 lane bridges (BLMA Modern Concrete Bridge is the only thing moderately close to a nice looking concrete bridge for the modern era for highway traffic in my opinion)

Can anyone point me in a direction on how to cast your own parts? I was thinking of using Hydrocoal to cast parts out of. Yes? No? What would you guys suggest would be good to cast good pieces? I might also try the Anchor Bolt Cement (although the parts may get a little heavy but will be more stronger and durable i think)

Is there any casting tools that i should get to help?

I was also thinking of making the molds from styrene, and making a couple master molds for a couple different style bridges i see on the highways around here. Ay suggestions on other materials to cast parts with or to use to make molds?

Thanks in advance for any help guys, i appreciate it alot
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread