New Rail Study
I don't have the figures, so I'll ask...what is the annual budget for the FAA (major portion of the $$ to plan/operate/maintain the safety of the airways - no trains, trucks, boats allowed - and no private business w/o a license) - More than Amtrak's subsidy? That doesn't count state, county and local facilities - land removed from tax rolls and possibly it's owners (eminent domain), constructed and maintained on the "promise" of service, jobs, etc. at the whim of the "Private" competitive air carriers. Pittsburgh built a beautiful, modern, first rate international terminal with hub and maintenance facilities for US Air, only to have them dump out on this huge expenditure, move their functions elsewhere, and leave the taxpayer (local, county, state and federal) holding the bag and scratching for revenue. Granted, this is anecdotal, but is also exemplary of the "subsidy" of the airline industry - and even with all this "help", the airlines are perpetually on the financial edge, and merging/going bankrupt, effectively heading for that Monopoly of One Air Carrier which will do as it wishes, private or government run, until broken up (at taxpayer expense) to start the dance again. ...and I'm not going to even mention the subsidy those entrepreneurial Trucking Companies and their bottomless pit of regulation/infrastructure expenses I pay ( I MUST be Rich, huh ???? ) Bob C
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."

Messages In This Thread