Speed Matching Loco's for MU Consist
I've read and re-read the Digitrax Zephyr book about building a consist. I can program the engines to run as a MU consist, but only those that are already closely speed matched stay coupled. Unfortunately, I haven't cracked the code on how to match each engine to each other within the consist. I understand you can use the basic 3 Step Speed Tables and the 28 Step Tables, but really don't understand "how" to do it. I've spent tonight reading various articles on the web concerning this topic and have learned some tips.

1. Match the loco's using a typical consist of cars in tow instead of running by themselves.
2. Match the loco's when they're not coupled together.
3. Try to match passenger loco's separately from freight loco's...unless you want to run mixed pax/freight.

Ok, maybe those are the "big picture" points, but what is still escaping me is the "how". I have a Zephyr system and going through the manuals, there's very little about how to actually reprogram the CV values to build a consist that is closely speed matched. (My only criticism of Digitrax is that they seem to write their manuals assuming the reader has a fair amount of DCC knowledge...IMHO.)

Am I missing the obvious? It there a pretty good tutorial out in cyberspace that explains how this is done? The way it seems now, you have to program (on the main) each CV value for the 3 or 28 Step mode while both engines are moving on the layout until they match in speed. Is it that simple? Why can't you just have an engine pull exactly the same train of cars over a set timed distance, and adjust the CV values until that engine pulls the same weight of cars over the same distance all at the same time? Wouldn't the engines be matched then, or at least closely enough that you wouldn't need to reprogram them again?

Ideally for our layout, which is supposed to be simple enough for a 12 and 10 yr old to run, I'd like the ability to take any two engines, couple them up and run them as a MU consist without having to reprogram them all the time. I know this is not very prototypical and negates what some engines were designed to do and operate (in real life), but for myself and my boys, being able to hook a few diesels together and run them with a long string of cars is all we wanted to do with DCC. And so far, that's the one thing we can't do.

Any info, help or ideas would sure be appreciated. Cheers
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Messages In This Thread