A New Type of Layout Base?
The other night at the N Scale club we was discussing layouts in general and I causally mention my temporary switching layout on my 30" x 60" dinning room table...After the usual good natured ribbing(yeah,I can see it now,here comes the mash potatoes express etc) the discussion then turn toward using a table/2" insulation foam combination..

Then the usual questions came up such as lighting,Fascia board,control panel etc-far more questions then I believe necessary and thinking well within the normal box of "proper" layout designs elements...I contend such a layout will call for out of the box thinking..

Lighting could be similar to to that of a pool table but,use a row of incandescent lights mounted on a overhead track.

Control panel..This could be mounted in the usual fashion.However,if one will be using Kato's Unitrack then all that would be needed is a schematic with the location and number of the turnout-the switch controls mount on the Unitrack power pack..DCC users would need to wire the controls for DCC or perhaps use the power pack for switch power.

As far as the Fascia one could use plastic or wood molding strips.

Then the cost of the table came up and many thought a HCD with folding legs would be cheaper..It was mention that the table could be bought use at a yard sale or perhaps a estate auction.

What do you think?

Would such a layout be feasible?

Frankly I am not exactly sold on the idea of a table layout because IMHO it would be no more then a glorified HCD.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!

Messages In This Thread