Light Install
Here is my first attempt at a modification, albeit its only minor.
I fumbled around and installed my first set of interior lights into a few passenger cars.

First the cars ...new.... and with shiny wheels, but no interior lights.

[Image: img_0304.jpg]

I had heard about a package that you could install with the LEDs to stop the them flickering as the carriage was moving, so I threw my hard earned on the counter at http://www.dccconcepts.com/ and collected a 6 pack to try out the system.
http://www.dccconcepts.com/index_files/D...erfree.htm

Opened the pack and enough bits fell out to do a car..
[Image: IMG_0453.jpg]
LEDs, resistors, some springs to put on the axles for electrical pickup, a flicker free unit and some PCB board, in fact the package I bought had enough to light at least six cars.

Then, the dexterous bull elephant took the roof off to get inside. Misngth
[Image: IMG_0452.jpg]

This was a bit of a hassle because of these pipe looking bits on the end, that I'm sure are only there to stop people like me interfering with the original
[Image: IMG_0462.jpg]
But that is what crowbars are for...

Then came the welding, sawing and hacking to assemble the PCB board
[Image: IMG_0463.jpg]

I soldered 2 (or 1 and a half) PCBs together to make the board long enough for the 6 or so lights I will put on it for the car
[Image: IMG_0455.jpg]

This is a 4 LED wired into the board with a 1000 ohm resistor to dull the LEDS that I put in the first car I did
[Image: IMG_0437.jpg]
Depending on the strength of the light required, you can either use a 1000 ohm, 500 ohm or even no resistor in the process, and not knowing how bright the light would be I opted for a resistor
I then dropped the flicker free do-dad down into entry at the end of the car to hide it from view
[Image: IMG_0440.jpg]
This flicker free thing can keep the lights on for a couple of minutes after the power is off.
and ran the wires thru a hole in the floor for the pickups
[Image: IMG_0441.jpg]

and soldered the other two wires to the PCB board
[Image: IMG_0469.jpg]

I will hopefully finish tomorrow.

Jack 219
LIFE....
..... Abandon the search for truth
Look for a good fantasy

Messages In This Thread