Digital cameras and model railroading
nachoman Wrote:The digital photograph is a good critic. Do you think that the advancement of digital cameras, and the nearly ubiquitous ownership of them has pushed our hobby to a higher detail threshold?

I think it's a combination of two things...

I, too, have several of my late grandfather's old MRR magazines from years gone by. First and foremost, there is a marked improvement in the quality of the models and scenery components themselves. Companies like Woodland Scenics have really raised the bar of realism, and I also believe that the modelers themselves are being more creative with their usage of scenic elements.

And yes, I also believe the advancements in digital photography have MADE both the producer and the end user of modeling products want to create a higher level of realism. So much detail can be lost in a grainy photograph, and those days are practically gone. Most cell phones these days are equipped with a better camera than people were used to 20 years ago. Heck, even 10 years ago. Technology is almost obsolete by the time it hits the shelves.
Tony

Messages In This Thread