A couple of simple improvements...
Squidbait Wrote:Wayne,

I noticed you weren't adding any extra weight to those Accurail cars... do you not weight your cars to the NMRA spec (1oz + 0.5oz/inch of length)? I found once I started getting my cars to consistent weight my operating reliability increased sharply.

To add the extra weight, I use the A-Line adhesive weights, and haven't had any come loose in nearly 20 years of use.

I just grabbed, at random, an Accurail car off the layout and weighed it. At 5.5" long, it weighed 3.75 oz., dead-on to NMRA specs. I also grabbed a Train Miniature car that has, for some reason 35 had extra weight added - it tipped the scales at 5.75 oz. My cars generally range from the NMRA weight standards all the way up to 8 or 9oz. for loaded hoppers. The only cars that seem to cause problems are empty hoppers, (which are 1.25oz. under spec at only 2oz.) and then only if they're near the front of a train of heavier cars. A train of all empty hoppers seems to be no problem. Of course, a long train of loaded hoppers behind one or two regulation weight cars could cause trouble, too, but the only trains with more than 2 or 3 loaded hoppers are those destined for the power plant. These are run like unit trains, and are the only regularly scheduled freights that I plan to run. If a train has empty hoppers in the consist, they're blocked towards the rear of the train, which adds some operating interest.
All of my 50' revenue-service flatcars weigh in at 6oz. empty (most of the removeable loads which I use are fairly light), and I have some 50' gondolas that tip the scales at 7.25oz. empty, or 10.75 when loaded with loose scrap metal. Again, attention to train make-up seems to negate any problems.
If I want to add weight to a car, I have a box of 1 and 2 ounce weights that I've cast from used wheel-balancing weights, plus some sheet lead for special situations. For cars like those flatcars, with few options for hiding the weight, I cast lead weight to fit in the cavities between the frame members - these are the Walthers GSC flats, so four different moulds were required to do each car. There's still room under these cars for probably another 2 ounces, too. Goldth

You are correct about the consistent weights contributing to more trouble-free operation, though. Because I favour "live" loads for my open cars, I'm willing to tinker with the standards. For most operators, they're a good point of reference - the key word is "consistent".

Wayne

Messages In This Thread