HEEEELLLLPPPP no matter what I do I blow 1.5 volt bulbs
Yes, 1.5 volt llight bulbs come in differant amp ratings. Most that we see on model RR locomotives will be in the 15 ma. range. You will find some in the 30 to 60 range but they not as common. Athearn locos I have worked on have 1.5 Volt bulbs and they fit them into the plastic shell of the loco. If you put a 14 to 16 volt bulb in on of these you will more than likely melt the shell where the light bulb fits. We are talking about running with DCC. A 16 volt bulb will generate a LOTS of heat.
When you are running on DC, most of the time you will not be running FULL power so they will be dim. The bulb not getting full voltage as like 14 to 16 volts because we don't run our locos full tilt. There for, you can get away with a 14 or 16 volt bulb. The bulb does not genereate as much heat when it is only receiving about 8 to 10 volts. When you use DCC and turn on a head light or what ever light it will receive 12 or more volts. The voltage will depend on which sclae trains your are working with, or system.
The link that I showed on a earler post shows how to use resistors- diodes and a resistor and a IC. to control voltage to the bulb.
When I do a locomotive conversion to DCC on some locomotives, I will spend more time on getting the lights hooked up than I do on the initall DCC install.
Trying to find room- run wires - and such takes up time AND room. With a sound install you don't have a lots of room to work with on some locomotives.
There for I use LED's most of the time. 1 LED and one resistor and I have one light up and running.
And I use just a 1/8 watt resistor for this. It is not much larger that a wire, so it does not take up a lot of room. The LED uses so little amps, the resistor justs gets warm.

Messages In This Thread