Grand Canyon Railway - steam is back!
Perhaps another factor in bringing back steam as a draw is the shifting popularity of the 'Old West' or somesuch theme. As much as I rail against Country & Western banjo music (with a harmonica and some bearded coot singing about 'ole number 7' if yer lucky), it epitomizes the tragic stereotype all steam railroads fall into at some time or another, that of a backwards, at-best-historic mode of transportation used by gunslingers & miners. WHY? Wallbang WHY? Wallbang WHY? Wallbang

There's so much more to steam than that limited slice of gold-rimmed americana. And as much as promoters try to change the image of steam by tapping into what it was really like, somehow adding a diamond stack and a cowboy hold-up has stuck in our nat'l collective brain as what steam is. Curse

All that to say, there are legit organizations like the Grand Canyon who could honestly and rightfully tap into that sort of history. But they could also go 'retro' and work the transition era angle as well, and do it with shiny diesel streamliners, serving martinis in the lounge car - without a single horseback hold-up.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread