"Emperor of the North" questions
Puddlejumper Wrote:To add to Brakie's outstanding explanation, if a train "runs through" a trailing point switch it will force the points to the route the train is coming through and break or bend the throw rod... and most likely not derail. Happens more than most rails would admit, because it is usually in a yard setting and fixed "under the radar" with some creative engineering. Usually it is just a matter of bending the rod back or pinning it in a different hole. If the switch is badly damaged most rails are buddies with a good maintainer that will help, but if it can't be easily fixed or the wrong person is watching it can result in disciplinary action. As mentioned, the switches out on the main are controlled by the dispatcher and can only be opened remotely or with permission to unlock, and nowadays forms need to be filled out each time a switch is thrown. Running through a switch out there on the main would definitely tie things up and result in time off for the crew.

Yeah, I hear that! I once got away with it at Amtrak by sending my cute little switchman Rebecca into the yard foreman's office to flirt with him, a crazy Russian carman and his torch, a large pipe, some "Non-Rev" bottles of Sprite froma nearby lounge car parked on a service track, and had to hold the points with that breaker bar by hand with a fast approaching Amtrak "Capitol" coming into the yard with a very wide eyed engineer about to wet himself as he approached the switch. Made it just in the nick of time too, as the forman knew something was up and Rebecca's charm could only hold him in his office so long. Goldth

I am lucky to still be in the railroad industry after that little escapade. Goldth
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]

Messages In This Thread