Stumped. Tsunami installation into P2K GP9
Steamtrains Wrote:Of course.... Goldth
I kinda' meant, did the sound fulfill your expectations..?? And was it worth the effort..??

Icon_lol

To be honest, for some reason I thought it would be louder. I guess years of hearing the real thing up close and even from a considerable distance, you can get a somewhat skewed expectation though. I don't imagine you'd want 1:1 sound in your layout room. Confusedhock:

It's funny because as I was reading up on the other issues I was having I came across several threads & articles regarding scale sound and volume. I noted a couple of opinions regarding the "5 foot rule". Meaning if you can hear your prime mover engine from 5 feet away its too loud. Which got me to thinking about it and allowed me to see a valid argument from that point of view. Standing at one end of the layout and watching the train move away from me you get that Doppler Effect as the engine moves away from you and likewise as it move back towards you and past you again. Like a good operator though, you should be following your train around the layout anyways. Wink Also the bell is something that I routinely hear coming from the various trains that pass over the tracks located to the S.E. of my house about about 1 klick away. I will always hear the bell before I hear the train.

Some food for thought. Might be worthwhile having some further discussion about here.

Messages In This Thread