Ocalicreek's 2010 Spring Bash Challenge
doctorwayne Wrote:Sorry, Galen: :oops: I neglected to comment on the fine job which you're doing on these older cars. It's nice to see them getting the treatment they deserve in order to fit in with more current rolling stock. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

Errrghhh....Internet Exploder couldn't open the page when I hit 'preview'...so I lost the whole dadgum reply! Wallbang Curse

So here goes again! Wayne - I thought I was doing great on my brass work until I saw the end railing on your caboose! Stellar work, sir! Confusedhock:

Here's the finished product, minus paint and weathering.

[albumimg]2365[/albumimg]

[albumimg]2366[/albumimg]

[albumimg]2367[/albumimg]

I had fun bending and gluing the drop steps...even more fun drilling them and pinning them to the sides with .015" wire once I realized that my hunch was correct and the CA alone wouldn't be enough to hold. It was enough, however, to hold them in place as I drilled them and pinned them. That's a good thing to remember.

The little chain on the brake wheel end/side is actually a detail that comes with the original kit. I think it's missing from the other two cars so I'll have to dig mine out from wherever it is in order to finish them. Also, the brake cylinder is in the best spot I could figure it was supposed to go. The drawings/instructions aren't crystal clear on that placement. Judging from the original cars, the original builder couldn't decide where it was to go either. He had it inside the frame for some reason.

This one is ready for the paint shop once I clean it...how do you 'wash' a wooden car? Painting will happen tonight.

It may not be weathered by 4/1, but I'm just glad to reach this stage! Big Grin

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread