Action at the roundhouse
I know the feeling. My biggest weakness in steam is for the combination of all-weather cab, Elesco and Vanderbuilt evident on 6153 and 4100.* Particularly the all-weather cab; though I like many steam engines that don't have it, if I think about it, I consider it an important feature missing on most US steam. Conversely, the thing most lacking from the Canadian steam scene were Mallets.

In contrast, I can't think of anything important the US was missing in the diesel field, but much that Canada was, most notably older GEs. Oh... there is one cool thing Canada has a lot more of, and that's freight cowl units.

There is one major aspect of Canadian freight operations where the US feels lacking. US covered hoppers are mainly bulged-side (like ACF designs) or ribbed-side (like PS-2s). Some cylindricals do exist, but they're mainly for plastics and so on. Probably the best-known US grain trains, the BNSF "earthworms", are made entirely of the bulged-side style. I find the NSC and Hawker Siddeley cylindricals to be some of the most necessary pieces of freight equipment, and their typical paint schemes are engaging. One type of covered hopper I've never seen in Canada and is uncommon in the US are those shaped like PS-2s and the like but without external ribs. The only place I know where those are common is Brazil.

But I digress.

* Actually, no. That's the commonest thing I love. The prettiest Canadian steam are the late CP 2-8-2s and 4-6-2s with recessed headlights, like the Royal Hudsons and other CP streamliners except not really streamlined.
Fan of late and early Conrail... also 40s-50s PRR, 70s ATSF, BN and SP, 70s-80s eastern CN, pre-merger-era UP, heavy electric operations in general, dieselized narrow gauge, era 3/4 DB and DR, EFVM and Brazilian railroads in general... too many to list!

Messages In This Thread