To DCC, or to not DCC
nachoman Wrote:
Steamtrains Wrote:Starting out with DC and contemplating a change to DCC in the future is very doable. Just set your block switches to one side, and plug in your DCC into that "side" of your block wiring. It's so doable, I did it myself -- in reverse. I now have a DCC/DC layout, with just the addition of a DPDT switch, and an input jack for the DC pack....
The only drawback to DC-for a small layout/operation like you envision, is performance...The difference in loco performance is quite noticeable.

So locos perform better on DCC? How so?

Mmmm - could be related to the tracks being at full voltage all the time in DCC - with the decoder inside the engine determining how much juice to feed on to the motor, whereas in DC, you lower and increase voltage on the tracks using your controller.

Possibly it is a little easier to maintain power to the motor at a desired level when it is less dependent on where on the tracks the locomotive is (ie how far from your feeder wires). Especially at very slow speeds.

Probably not a big thing on a 4x8 foot layout, though. Not on a well wired bigger layout with ample feeder wires either, for that matter.

If you don't need to move two engines independent of each other at the same time in the same area, and you can park other engines on tracks (like at an engine service track) that can be de-energized with a block selector switch of some kind, DC should work just fine for your application.

Smile,
Stein

Messages In This Thread