ISLs ..Coming Of Age?
I agree, switching layouts are much more fun too. Don't get me wrong here, I still enjoy watching a set of B-40's taking a stack train around a layout. But, in today's economy, a SW-1500 with 6 or 7 cars and a caboose running through a bunch of buildings and tight curves is somewhat more affordable. Furthermore, you can focus more time, and less money, on inexpensive landscaping. Yes it's fun running a train around a loop of track, but, operating a "local" gives your layout a sense of purpose too. Modern technology (DCC) gives us the chance now to operate in smaller places without complex wiring features. You can put in more complex track arrangements without the need for extra wiring. You can focus more on lineside detail rather than trying to afford another elaborate piece of rolling stock to make your trains look longer.

Besides, the smaller ISL's are easy to move. That helps when you learn that your job is no longer and you have to move. Been there, done that.
Doing my best to stay on track and to live each day to it's fullest, trying not to upset people along the way. I have no enemies.....just friends who don't understand my point of view.

Steve

Let's go Devils!

Messages In This Thread