What's the deal with DCC?
Thanks Dave,

But I've switched gears.

Now I'm asking about Throttles and Stations.

You can't plug a Lenz throttle into a Digitrax system.

The DCC decoders are all standardized, so why not all of the throttles?

Puddlejumper Wrote:I believe the pioneer in "universal" use of decoders on this board is Jeffrey. If I remember right, he has taken a decoder out of just about every manufacturer of locomotive and used it in just about any other, with fine results. It's really a product of the market. Any decoder will work, but will it work "plug and play"? Ready to run seems to be the focus of the industry. Jeffrey doesn't mind rewiring a loco or decoder to suit his needs so he has no need for the "special" or manufacturer specific decoders, while others don't want to modify their new lokeys, they just want to plug and play.

Having been involved in discussions to develop module standards, the issue of control is a major problem.

When I've set up with the module group, DCC becomes a necessity. It means that I have to borrow someone else's equipment if I want to run a train.

Conventional Wisdom states that you buy the DCC system that your friends are using.

It doesn't work in my case.

They all have different systems!

Although they all share the same Throttle Bus wiring, none of the systems and throttles are compatible.

If one guy shows up with a Digitrax System to run the modules, everyone else has to have a Digitrax throttle. At the next meet, someone will bring a Lenz System, and the Third guy may have Easy DCC that uses a totally different Throttle Bus! Not to mention the need for yet another throttle.

The Compatibility is limited at best and it is enough to drive you mental. Not to mention bankrupt if you have to buy several Throttles in order to be compatible with which-ever system is being used on the module layout.
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog

Messages In This Thread