Staging: Think about it now or.....
...think about it later. Unfortunately, I did the latter. I remarked in a recent threat that I regretted not having thought more about staging when designing my layout years ago. Don't get me wrong, I like my set up. It has a long continuous main line run, and I thought enough about operations potential to include a couple of good length sidings and several industrial spurs for my trains to work on...but I really didn't provide much of a way for trains to enter and exit my layout's territory. There wasn't a connection to the outside world.

Over the years several threads about operations and staging made me want to create those kinds of connections. My layout's construction didn't afford too many options, certainly not room for a multi-track staging yard, but I was able to find some places to add a track here or there that suggest trains come from "elsewhere".

My layout has some hidden track. Some of it is accessible behind my cement complex and its easily removed buildings. The tracks pictured here are part of the main line and a long siding. I can leave one train parked back there while another runs the circuit of the layout and then returns to stop on the hidden track. Then the second train can come out and do the same. This was really my only original provision for staging.

[Image: IMG_1797.jpg]

Since then I have added this branch line which was originally a spur serving the cement plant that ended before the current tunnel location. I can still operate it as a spur if I wish and ignore the extended track and tunnel. Most of the time, however, this staging track, which can accommodate a 12 car freight train, represents my road's connection to the B&M and the fictional Mayfield Yard where trains may originate or terminate.

[Image: IMG_1800.jpg]

Another later addition. The track with the freight cars is my connection to the Kings Port & Western. Unfortunately I could only make it long enough to hide four cars. I wish I could extend it to a small yard that would let me send out or receive three or four trains, but I'd have to cut a hole in my house and build an out building. Goldth I usually set up an outgoing train with the loco and lead cars visible waiting on this sidetrack for clearance to run over my PC track. Sometimes I'll run an RDC which easily hides on this staging track.

[Image: IMG_1801.jpg]

And another addition. The tunnel on the left is the main. The right side is a three foot long staging track that can also accommodate the RDC or small transfer runs.

[Image: IMG_1802.jpg]

Finally, perhaps my best staging, the car float yard at West Mill. I built this on a shelf with hinges so it folds down in case I need access to the back of the layout behind it. I can move ten cars onto the layout using the float. Transfer runs to Kings Port can be made from here which eventually disappear onto the hidden track behind the cement plant.

[Image: IMG_1803.jpg]

I guess the point of my post is to encourage people who are in the planning phase of their layout to think more about adding staging...and to assure modelers who didn't that they probably can still find some places to add staging with a little creativity. Thumbsup

Ralph

Messages In This Thread