doctorwayne's Summer Challenge - Part II: A shanty...
...isn't much of a home either, but for the crossing tenders/watchmen on my railroads, these shanties are "home" for their workday.
I started with Evergreen strips in various sizes, along with some scraps of styrene clapboard and board & batten siding, and some door and window castings from Tichy.
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos078.jpg]

The walls are assembled, with doors and windows included only to show placement:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos083.jpg]

The view below shows how the walls will be assembled to one another, with the 6"x6" strips beside the outer faces of the walls cemented to their edges, while the similar strips beside the inside view of the wall are cemented to the edges of the interior face of the wall:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos088.jpg]

A set of completed walls, with windows and doors simply set in place. They'll be cemented after all of the painting and glazing has been finished:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos090.jpg]

And some views of the assembled structures (there'll be three similar ones, with with variations in window placement depending on the locale where they'll be placed:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos092.jpg]

[Image: Morekitbashingphotos093.jpg]

[Image: Morekitbashingphotos094.jpg]

Each building gets a simple roof of .060" sheet styrene:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos095.jpg]

[Image: Morekitbashingphotos096.jpg]

I also added a smokejack (from an Athearn caboose, plus some Evergreen tubing) along with some facia and the framing for the lookouts at both gable ends. I didn't bother with rafter tails along the sides, as the steep roof and overhang should hide that area. If not, the roofs will be removeable anyway, so that detail can be added if required.
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos098.jpg]

[Image: Morekitbashingphotos099.jpg]

Still to come: shingles (Pete?), perhaps some exterior trim, maybe some interior details, paint, and then installation on the layout.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread