My Take On Operations "Game"
I have been slowly and methodically planning and re-planning my N scale layout since I joined THE Gauge in 2006. Due to the endless stream of incredible ideas and layouts on this forum, I seem to keep changing my mind about what I want or don't want to do. My first attempt at a layout was a simple 5' x 8' L-shaped loop with a small yard and one or two sidings. At the time I was not interested in realistic type operations, point - to - point, etc. But I quickly became bored with watching the train going round and round and round.......I have decided, from inspiration from Gary S. to do a three sided around the walls shelf layout with a peninsula, filling up an 11' x 11' bedroom. Benchwork is in and I will be starting a construction thread very soon.........
With that said, I have been intrigued by all the various methods of creating realistic operations. It's important to understand I know nothing of how real operations are conducted. I have been inspired by all things Brakie, and most recently FedEx13's situational modeling thread <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=2909">viewtopic.php?f=54&t=2909</a><!-- l -->. I have tried to absorb everybody's ideas and thoughts and have come up with a rough plan using index cards to create switchlists as a "game" and wanted to bounce this off the experts (you know who you are)!

Knowing how operations are to be conducted on my layout is the last piece of the planning puzzle to allow me to come up with a workable trackplan. Things to consider for me are:

Single operator
Large double ended yard with traffic from east and west
Maintenance Facility
Manufacturer to industry deliveries
Industry to industry switching
Less than carloads to warehouses and team track
One or two passing sidings

I don't think I'll like car card and waybill operation. I like the idea of switchlists. Here's my concept of a random game to create switchlists for and operation session...

As a prototype, I made index cards with the situations FedEx13 described in his thread. Added more cards for pick-up and deliveries to all the planned industries. Since I will have a large yard and maintenance facility, more cards for moves just for the yard. And finally, more cards for problem situations such as breakdowns, etc along the mainline.

Here's the "game". Shuffle the deck(s) . There are 3 separate stacks of cards - one for yard operations, one for mainline operations and one for problem situations. I separated yard and mainline operations, but I guess they can be combined. At the beginning of a session, I decide how many moves I want to make and draw that many cards from the "operations" deck and maybe one or two (or more) cards from the "problem situation" deck. I then take those cards and create my switchlist, and off we go! At the end of the session, I leave those particular cards out of the deck to allow me to resume where I left off for the next session.

I hope this makes sense. I am looking to you guys to help me out and decide if this is workable. Don't hold back, if it is ridiculous, just say so. I really don't know what I'm doing and am not smart enough to take into consideration what it takes to operate a railroad. Brakie - I'm ESPECIALLY looking forward to hearing your thoughts....
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191

Messages In This Thread