Maybe a "new" idea for a "old" subject
Hey guys...I was not really sure what topic to throw this idea under but I thought it would fit here, because it's somewhat of a trick, if not a tip.

For those of you who have read my threads before, you know that I'm a "operational detail" fan. I like to add prototypical detail into model railroading. I would like to add, yet another, modeling tip and trick that is very easy to add to any layout. Forgive me if this topic has been discussed here before - I'm a rookie brakeman here at this forum - but this tip (trick) is very unique to the real railroads, but yet, I've never seen it modeled or mentioned in any scale.

The "Busy Railroad":

A great way to make your layout look realistic is to make it look "BUSY". Make your layout look like it's doing one "heck of a business". All that's needed to create this effect is....railcars! :o

Cram as many railcars into a yard or siding as you can. A great example to show this is a "feed" or "grain" siding. These rail customers always receive a influx of extra cars on or about harvest time. So, if your feed or grain siding can hold 4 cars, then, put 4 cars in there. It'll give your switch crews the unexpected headache when they encounter the extra moves associated with the extra cars.

Try it, it works for ANY siding! It's also a great excuse to pull up those extra cars from under the benchwork. Don't store them, show them!

The "Full Yard"

Do you have some railcars that are, well, let's say, not quite up to showpiece quality. We all do. They are the ones that are missing this or missing that. In the end, they ALL look like operational railcars, if they are hidden behind other "quality" cars in a yard. We always put our good stuff in viewing range - right? Well how about those yard tracks in the back? We all want to model a realistic yard. The most realistic yard, in my opinion, is a FULL yard. So, if your yard has 5 tracks, you can add those "not quite up to snuff" cars to the tracks not quite in view. To the "average" eye, you may get a "wow, that looks great" response.

However, from a rivet counter, you may get a "did you know that 4th car is missing a handbrake wheel" response.

Either way, fill out those tracks and make your layout look "busy".

That's my tip of the day. Popcornbeer Now, if I can only publish these ideas into a book, I could make some money to buy some timetables. Thumbsup
Doing my best to stay on track and to live each day to it's fullest, trying not to upset people along the way. I have no enemies.....just friends who don't understand my point of view.

Steve

Let's go Devils!

Messages In This Thread