Tom’s 2010 Summer "Strickland Propane" Structure Challenge
I have really enjoyed the challenges posted here on my favorite model railroad message board, and as much as I enjoyed them, for some reason or another, was always unable to participate. I logged in this morning over coffee as I usually do, and low and behold, another contest entry. I thought about it for a second or two and decided “This time, I’m in”. While I don’t think I have a snowball’s chance of winning against many (if any) of the outstanding entries posted thus far, I really don’t care about winning anything, as much as I look forward to enjoying building with you guys. So, off to the great expanse of the “interwebs” to look for a suitable structure to build, probably best from a kit, as I haven’t built anything structure wise in a while. Oh, and HAS to be something I can use on the layout, if and when I ever reclaim my garage from my businesses storage needs (anyone want to buy a pair of soda machines??) to put the layout back up again. I looked and pondered for over an hour at the Walthers “Merchant’s Row II” that I plan to incorporate on the old layout, but it was too easy, too common, and too quick. I thought about some O scale structures for my On30 layout that I have planned, but those require a LOT of wood scratchbuilding tools and supplies that I simply don’t have yet. I looked at some other HO structures I want to build, but either pricey, (being in business for yourself really sucks in this recession), hard to find, or too common and simple. I almost gave up while looking at photos of my layout and trying to decide when I noticed a lone propane tanker parked behind one of the structures while the driver ate lunch. AHA! That’s it! “Strickland Propane and Propane Accessories. Taste the meat, not the heat!”

After discussion over coffee with Alicia, and some input from her (why do women always want you to build houses, churches or farms anyway?), upon finding suitable screenshots online of “Hank Hill’s” obsessive place of employment on TV’s “King of the Hill”, she threatened to have me sent for a psych evaluation once I told her of my plans.

Being as that I is a redneck, having lived in Southeast Missouri, animated rednecks crack me up and “King of the Hill” was one of my favorite shows. I still watch it every time it comes on. I even planned out a “King of the Hill” themed layout http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116077 once and would still love to eventually build it. I have a place on the layout where a freight house stands now, but is perfect for “Strickland” once I get it completed and the layout set up again. It even has a one car spur just long enough for a 62’ propane tank car.

So, here we go…..

Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]

Messages In This Thread