Switching industry in Houston,TX
I'm not very familiar with the PTRA or the HB&T, but give me a couple days and I'll go over to the LHS and ask the guys about them. Every so often I will see a light blue HB&T switch engine (SW1200?) over in the BNSF Mykawa Yard - but only twice a year maybe. I like the paint scheme on the engine, mostly because it has the state of Texas as a logo.

Now, what I am familiar with is the two industrial areas near Hobby Airport on the south side of Houston. I have posted pics of some of the industries in the Industries Forum here at Big Blue, as you know. These areas are switched by BNSF out of the Mykawa Yard. They have four of the Genset switchers that do the work, and they still use an ATSF caboose for that work.

I'm not quite sure, but over in the older area of town at the upper end of the ship channel, I have seen UP GP units with the "Y" marking on them, so it may be assumed that UP does some industry switching in that area, but then again, they may just do yard switching.

Reinhard, you bring up some great questions, and something I need to know more about. It may not be until Friday before I can make it to the hobby shop to ask some questions. I'll also dig around on the net to see what I can find.

So, off the top of my head, I would say you could get away with modeling whichever road you wanted to. And, I see UP engines in the BNSF yard all the time.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Messages In This Thread