Cant program locs
Steamtrains Wrote:I'm not sure I agree with GEC here...I've been using a D'trax Zephyr and all D'trax decoders since day one on my layout and the only serious problem I've ever had was "operator induced" (that's the fancy way of saying I f**** up.... Goldth ) which required a trip for my system to sunny Florida. They only charged for return postage. I can attest to the easy "start-up" process, and reliability of their products. I'm not sure what hardware updates GEC refers to, but they offer what is probably the most complete line of command stations and accesories to run anything from the simplest layout, to mega-sized club layouts.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend D'trax products to any one that is contemplating getting into DCC.

I would hesistate. the Digitrx Zephyr is the oldest and most expensive DCC starter system yet lacks many of the features of both the MRC and the NCE Starter sets.

For example-

1. the Zephyr is stuck in one place, you have to buy seperate walk around throttles. the MRC and NCE systems both are hand helds.
2. to consist with the zephyr, you need to reprogram all locomotives to the same address. with MRC and NCE, the much easier advanced consist is used.
3. the Zephyr only has ten functions, the NCE power cab 13, and the MRC Express actually has 16.
4. the zephyr costs $200, the MRC only only around $130, and the Powercab about $150
5. the "ability to run a DC locomotive". is a gimmick, as it just powers down your other engines and still will damge the DC engine if left to sit.
6. while digitax systems do have some of the above functions, you have to buy expennsive add ons when you could just get what you need in the original starter set by MRC or NCE.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread