Cant program locs
I don't believe I recommended that anyone buy the Zephyr, I was just relating my experience with a Digitrax product, and stating that they offer the widest array of DCC products that I know of.
As to the virtues or shortcomings of the Zephyr, it is indeed a stationary console, and you do have to use an existing DC power pack, or purchase a handheld throttle for walkaround control. If you are a little electronically inclined, you can build your own, as I did, and be able to have walkaround.
-The Zephyr supports advanced consisting where one loco is designated as the lead or "top" loco, and any other locos are assigned to the consist, with their own, pre-designated loco nombers. You do not have to change all locos to the same address (You can do that too, if you so desire).
-The Zephyr is surely lacking in functions, as it only has ten. I don't know why anyone getting into the hobby would need more. I use ONE.... Goldth
-After a quick check on the web, I found the cheapest Zephyr going for $142, and the most expensive at $169. I purchased mine at $150, as I recall.
-As for the DC side of things, I only use the DC feature to test a new loco before installing a decoder, to make sure the loco is running before the "implant". That way I know, if things go south, that the problem had its source with the installation. If you are into running DC on a DCC layout, you do what I did...Make it a DUAL mode layout, with the addition of a DPDT toggle switch. Simple.
Last, but not least...I've never had a problem programming my locos with the Zephyr.....
Gus (LC&P).

Messages In This Thread