Apple Peak Railroad and Coal Co.
Well guys. I understand that my previous layout thread was the M-J RailConnect setup, but I was sitting here thinking a few days after I posted that track plan up and said to myself, "Now that I'm using a smaller scale, I can fit what I had wanted to do before in HO into my available space now, since it would be N."

So I have developed a track plan. It needs a little tweaking. I need a loco escape in the yard, it's probably going to be a little drop leaf section I can pop up when I'm using the layout.

I also need to put a turning facility over near the mines, but I'll figure that out once I figure out what I'm using for cars, so I know how long the trains would be. I also need a runaround setup near the mines, so I'll probably use the siding over in that little town, as it doubles as both a passing siding and a station track.

The line itself is called the Apple Peak Railroad & Coal Co. There is a track in the town halfway between Apple Peak and the mines, and I'm still trying to come up with an industry to put there.

The interchange track is marked as B&M or D&RGW(I don't remember which, because I was planning on putting it in one of those two places), but the actual interchange will be with the Huntingdon and Broad Top Mountain RR. I may have to backdate the line a little bit to allow that, as I don't remember when the H&BT folded, but the general current idea for era is between 1939-1942. I was thinking it would be a line that barely escaped the depression, but couldn't make enough money to stay on top like the EBT, so it sold it's bigger engines and started using second-hand steamers. Most of them will probably be 0-6-0s and maybe a mogul or two, but they would soon be sold in favor of more 0-6-0s.

I'm considering the use of gas-electric equipment with a couple of 0-6-0s as well, as gas-electric and gas-mechanical would be cheaper to run and to maintain than steam.

So here's the track plan:

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread