What Era, Railroads, & Locomotives are you set on?
My modeled era: The late 1940's with some extensions to the early 1950's.
My modeled area: A mythical and fictional Cleveland/OH
My modeled theme: The ET&N, a fictional RR called East Terminal & Newburgh RR

In reality you found in the early 1940's on the rails in and around Cleveland/OH:
NYC
PRR
NKP
B&O
W&LE
P&LE
ERIE
CSL , Cleveland Short Lines, a subsidary og the NYC
N&SS , Newburgh & South Shore, a class 1 carrier although of only 7 miles of mainline
RT , a steel mill RR
CV , also as above

My fictional ET&N consists out of the N&SS, the B&O line through the Cuyahoga Valley, and the RV. I bend the real history for my purposes and it is as crooked as the Cuyahoga River. It is an dangerous theme too. You can go big, very big. For e.g. the typical Great Laker from the turn of the century was about 500 feet long. In H0 such an ore boat will be so around 70 inches long (175cm). And 1940's lakers were bigger too. Steel mills can became huge, in needed space and needed $$$ (€€€). So i thought, this is the background, the ET&N is a wealthy enterprise because of serving steel industries, coal and ore traffic is its backbone. But there are still the normal business which kept an big city alive. Those small industries besides serving the city demands.

And here at this point i to begun starting modelling by creating an industrial area named Flats 1. Warehouses, small manufacturers, the backside of an sintering plant and a tube dealer will be modeled. I started with some modules recycled from an earlier european project. It will be an switching layout with further planned extensions in the future.

Motive power for switching duties:
several 0-6-0's
4-6-0 ; ideed an anacronism, but she survived here
2-10-0
SW1
NW2
EMC Doodlebug for passenger service.

And there are some semi off topics:
2-8-2
2-10-2
2-6-6-2 , yes the prototype photo of the W&LE 2-6-6-2 was taken in Cleveland/OH.
When further extensions of the layout became reality, as staging yards and loops, these engines will be used as motive power for running through trains.

There are some off topic power too. Just for collecting and enjoyment.

Greetings Lutz

Messages In This Thread