DCC and "Seasoned" Brass Locomotives
After reading and re-reading Kevin Krey's "Can't Program Locos" thread several times over a week or so, I'm still sure that I want to go DCC ...
... however ... I have a couple of questions. :?

A) I lean towards Digitrax as that is what many people I have spoken to have (as does the local model railroad club nearby) and there would be local, hands-on support, should I need it ... well ... when I need it. Big Grin

B) I have about seventeen older brass locomotives (produced between 1958 and 1989) and have had someone tell me I should forget them as far as DCC is concerned and get some modern plastic DCC-ready diesels.

Ahhh ... Uhn-uh! That's not going to happen! I've spent a "model railroading lifetime" acquiring the All-Camelback Motive Power Roster for my beloved Lehigh Susquehanna & Western and that is what I'm going to use! Not to mention all of my rolling stock, the LPB's vehicles, everything, is all 1930's vintage! If it just means that it will be more difficult because my locomotives are old and have open-frame motors which will have to be changed out ... well, so be it! 8-)

The railroad will be operated primarily by me, alone, but one or possibly two others might be able to join in on the fun without us stepping on or falling over each other. All this talk about the pluses and minuses of the Zephyr have me thinking ... maybe I should save up a little more and get the next model up.

After all, it'll be a while before I need it anyway ... benchwork won't even get started until after the Challenge is complete and then I really feel obligated to finish up the "Building a Small Fleet of Very Small Cabooses" thread before I get hyper-focused on building benchwork.

Any knowledgeable input will be welcomed.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread