A one evening turntable bash
Or, A turntable..from a turntable. Many of you probably saw my white glue and l girder thread. So I was happily running stean locos thru the relaid curve adn quickly realized it was time to do something about being able to turn steam at the west end staging yard. I built the turntable and roundhouse at the east end servicing facilities about a year and a half ago but because of the problems with the curve hadn't really run much steam on the mainline. So last night after dinner I tackled the west end turntable. Literally a turntable! A Pioneer PL560 direct drive turntable that I had given up trying to repair when it kept auto returning prior to reaching the end of a record. Yes, I still play albums! I have (had) two turntables. So, removing the top and bottom screws and clipping a lot of wires enabled me to remove the tonearm and associated mech, leaving the direct drive motor intact and in place. Here is what it looked like after using a Dremel cut off disc to remove some of the spindle:

For giggles, here is the mech I removed. I kept the headshell and cartridge, what you see here is in the garbage.

I built a three sided box from 3/4" plywood, at the height needed to get the turntable where I needed it. The shelf it sits on was so out of level I had to put 1/2 homasote blocks under the rear!

Messages In This Thread