L&N Industrial Rail Spur
Brakie Wrote:So,here's a very rough draft for what I have planned my head..
The layout is 12" x 7' and is N Scale.
[Image: SlateCreekIndustrialRoughdraft.jpg]
Larry;
Appreciate you taking the time to do this. I'm not that great with drawing up plans either. Been using the demo version of AnyRail, mainly because it includes correct templates for Peco turnouts and Atlas track. But sometimes the plan in your head actually works much better than spending hours learning and working with a CAD program.

I have found that there is no substitute for actually test fitting the track and temporarily pinning down sections of flex track. Just gives me a better feel for how things will or won't fit together. I tend to get frustrated when I can't get a CAD program to match the image in my head.

Your plan is very interesting and pretty darn big for N scale. You must be in to my modeling era too as I see several of those colorful short line IPD box cars in the photo. I sure do miss those days! I probably have Kodachrome slides of every one of those that ever hit the rails.
Brakie Wrote:We would avoid shoving cars as much as possible because one of us would need to protect the shove by hanging on the side of the end car and flag crossings. Picture doing that in the rain,sleet,snow,summer's heat and freezing cold weather.
Oh goodness, I couldn't tell you how many times I've hung on the side of a box car until my arms ached in that kind of weather! When I worked for the F&C and we switched Old Granddad Distillery, we had to shove our train about 3/4 miles down their spur to the gate every night! Fortunately, most of the time we had a coal hopper or covered hopper that we could ride giving a little shelter from the weather.
Brakie Wrote:Ed,I forgot to mention I plan on having at least one crossing that gets blocked during switching moves.
I too, plan on having one or two road crossings to block while switching on whatever my layout ends being. Always enjoyed doing that whenever possible on the "real" thing.
Gary S Wrote:Ed, loved the commentary....
Well thanks Gary! I figured I was boring everyone silly. I get to remembering stuff and tend to just run on and on at times. More often than not, I don't get my thoughts down correctly in written words and the brain tends to run a heck of a lot faster than the fingers! Got to admit that I really miss those days "workin' on the railroad". But at least we can run our own railroads and get out and watch or photograph what's going on with the prototypes.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread