Plug-n-Play decoder, non-Plug-n-Play Loco?
rrinker Wrote: You'd be better served by replacing the TSU-AT1000 with a TSU-1000 which is a wired decoder. All of their sounds are avaialble on each model decoder - you aren't limited to a certain form factor decoder to get specific sounds. You can attach wires tot he right palces on the AT1000 but mounting it could be tricky, it's meant to snap right ont he existing mounting posts in an Athearn or Atlas loco I think you will have a much easier time with the plain TSU-1000 wired decoder.

And actually, Soundtraxx does not list the proper sound files for an S-2. An S-2 has a turbocharged 539 prime mover, Soundtraxx only has options with 244 and 251 prime movers. Proper sounds can be found in the QSI Revolution decoders. The Revolution-U/W is a hard wired decoder and is slightly smaller than the Revolution-U, the U has a 9 pin plug to disconnect the decoder but it makes it slightly larger. Depending on space, and an S-2 is kinda small, the extra space savings might come in handy. --Randy

Randy, I appreciate what you are saying ... Prior to saying anything here, I wrote to Soundtraxx and explained my situation and that I understood they did not have a decoder with the Alco 539 prime mover. [At the time, I thought the brass model I was getting was an S-1 (non-turbo 539 P.M.) ... turns out, since it arrived and I've looked at it, it's an S-2 (turbo 539 P.M.)]

In response, I received ...

"Bil,
Thank you for your interest in our decoders. I am not sure where you heard we don't make an Alco 539 non turbo, we have for about a year now and the sample is up on our website.
-Jarrette "

I then took a second, closer look at the Soundtraxx site and found the 828049 TSU-AT1000 for ALCO 539 Turbocharged, which is why I mentioned that decoder in my original posting. It sounds good, (I did listen to the sound - much different from an EMD!) I just wish it was in the "wired" package. That, plus, I'd prefer to stay with the Soundtraxx over the QSI decoder as everything I have read to date make me choose the Soundtraxx decoders.

I will say that over the past three days, I've learned more about the ALCO S-1 and S-2 diesel switchers ... spotting features, H.P differences, when they arrived on Reading Company property, as well as by what date they were gone, in addition to ... which number unit got which paint scheme, and when ... than I've ever known about diesel locomotives collectively as a whole, since I had that first Varney F3!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread