Poll: Do You run DC or DCC
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DC
32.69%
17 32.69%
DCC
63.46%
33 63.46%
Arm chair
3.85%
2 3.85%
Total 52 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

DC/DCC
Les - that is a great idea! Necessity really IS the mother of invention! What creative thinkers we have here at Big Blue.

I recently operated on a DC powered layout - N scale mainline ops with radio headsets & dispatcher control. There were local blocks/throttles for major industries & yards but most mainline trains were controlled with Aristocraft wireless throttles. I had a great time but there were times when I couldn't tell if the reason my loco stalled was because of the dispatcher forgetting to set blocks for my throttle (which happened quite often, regrettably) or dirty track, dirty wheels, or some other engine flaw. DCC may not have solved the latter problems, but it would have solved some of the former. DCC is no substitute for operators failing to call in OS at stations...unless you have some sort of computerized feedback/dispatching but where's the fun in that?

OTOH, DCC allows cornfield meets in club settings. On my former modular club that began to show up as operators got complacent about watching their train run around the layout (and around, and around and around...can you blame them?) and telescoped some poor caboose crew on the train stalled in front of them or vice versa.

I operate DCC, but for now being able to clip on a power pack and run a DC engine to test trackwork is fine. Just as easy to do that with DCC and a decoder equipped loco, so even those days are numbered on my railroad.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread